Imagine Getting Rid Of Knee Pain And Loving Every Minute Of It (3 Easy Stretches)
Knee pain is without a doubt troubling. It will not only interfere with your fitness routine, but it can impact your everyday life in a negative manner. When you experience intense amounts of knee pain over an extended period of time it is always a good idea to visit a physical therapist.
This will help determine the underlying cause of the pain. However, there are times when those knee pains are the result of tightness in your glutes and hips, which can be remedied with simple stretches.
What Causes Knee Pain?
When you experience knee pain or the pain becomes worse it can be the result of weakness or tightness in the muscles and tendons that connect to the knee. This is especially true for the hip, glutes, hamstring, calves, and quads.
This is because tendons connect all of these parts of your body and when these tendons are compromised the other parts are affected as well. The best way to explain this is to think of an assembly line extending from your hips to your toes. All these parts work together going down the line to help support your joints as they move.
Preventing And Easing Knee Pain
The best way to prevent and ease knee pain is to reduce the tightness in all of the areas that are connected to the knee. And, the best place to start is with the hips.
This is because the majority of the muscles that connect to the knee start at the hip. Keeping hips loose and strong will go a long way to easing and even preventing knee pain. Developing an exercise routine that is based around targeting the hips and other important muscles are imperative to improving the overall support to your knees.
Below, you will find some specific stretches that will do just this. It doesn’t matter what order you do them in just as long as you are including them in your routine.
You will want to do these stretches every day even after your workout. So, on days that you workout you will actually be doing them twice a day.
Hold the stretches for at least 30 seconds to a minute to help reduce the tightening.
Stretch 01. The Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch
This exercise really targets the hips and it is fairly easy to perform.
- Start by kneeling on one knee and place the other foot flat in front of you making sure that it is completely parallel with the floor.
- Push yourself forward while stretching the hip toward the floor.
- Make sure that you are tightening your butt to enhance the overall effect.
- Now, reach up with the arm on the same side of the knee that is on the floor and hold for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Transfer to the other side and repeat the exercise.
Stretch 02. Figure Four Stretch
This exercise will target the glutes and key area.
- Start on your back and cross your left foot over your right quad.
- Now bend your right knee while holding the back of your right leg.
- Once in this position, you will want to pull forward slightly inward to your chest.
- Hold it there for 30 seconds to a minute and repeat with the other leg.
Stretch 03. Standing Hamstring Stretch
The hamstrings are crucial as they support both the hips and knees. This exercise will help keep them loose and supported.
- Start by standing on your right foot while placing your left foot in front of your body.
- Now lift your foot and toes off the floor while keeping the heel in place.
- Lean forward at the hips and knee while bending your right knee and try to sit back.
- Remember to keep your left leg completely straight with the weight place on the heel.
- Hold here for 30 seconds to a minute and repeat with the other leg.